PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth Playback Slow & Jittery

bjs
08-11-2010, 06:07 PM
I have an HTC Evo 4G with the OTA Froyo update, and I purchased the Premium (Pro?) Ambling Player.

When I connect to Bluetooth in my car (via a Jabra SP700 Speakerphone) or to my Creative D100 Bluetooth speakers, I occasionally get books playing back at a slower speed, with a jittery sound (short pause "hiccups" in the playback). It is still listenable, but irritating. If I connect wired earbuds, the playback is normal. Pull out the earbuds and go back to Bluetooth and the problem resumes. Sometimes, after a while, the sound clears up under Bluetooth.

I have tried making sure to kill off any other background tasks, but this does not seem to help.

The problem is intermittent -- sometimes a book plays fine on Bluetooth, sometimes it has the problem.

As an aside, I was an avid iPod Touch owner. I got an Android phone and was not thrilled about the idea of carrying both, but I was not sure the music players on the phone would cut the mustard. I listen to a lot of audiobooks, and was concerned about leaving behind the iPod's fine scrubbing and audiobook controls. Happily, I found Ambling. Your book player is worth every penny (even with the above problem). It has truly made my Evo the only device I need to carry. Thank you! I am giving the iPod Touch to my niece.

Howard
08-13-2010, 05:01 PM
I have also seen this same issue on several different Android devices ranging from devices running Android 1.5 to the latest Android 2.2. I have not been able to find any reason or pattern that explains why this problem occurs.

As you described the problem only occurs when playing over Bluetooth and it seems to be an issue with the Bluetooth radio audio stream. Sometimes the problem might happen for only a couple of seconds or other times I have seen it go as long as 1 or 2 minutes. After the problem stops I am able to jump back and play the same part of the audiobook again without any issues. Switching to a wired connection always plays just fine.

My best guess is that there is some type of temporary radio interference occurring which causes the issue with the Bluetooth audio stream.

northben
10-01-2010, 02:16 PM
I'm using a Droid X with 2.2 and have the same problem. I never had this problem with the stock music player before I found Ambling, so I don't think it's interference. It seems like the skipping might be correlated with network activity.

Howard
10-02-2010, 12:48 AM
I have tried experimenting the last few times when I have had an issue with the Bluetooth reception having problems.

I tried several different things including pressing pause, play and jump back on the audiobook controls, turning off and back on the Bluetooth headset, and turning off the Android Bluetooth radio and then turning it back on.

have done this several times now and each time it has been consistent that turning off the Android Bluetooth radio and then turning it back on is the thing that immediately clears up the issue. From these troubleshooting steps it appears to be some state that the Android Bluetooth radio is in which causes the problem. Turning off the headphones would break the Bluetooth connection and then turning the headphones on again would reestablish the connection, but this didn't seem to clear up the issue. Only turning off the Android Bluetooth radio and then turning it back on again immediately cleared up the reception problem.

I would be very interested if others could try these same steps and confirm if they see similar results. I used the Android power widget to switch the Bluetooth off and then back on, but you can also do this from the Wireless settings menu.

northben
10-02-2010, 02:25 PM
Thanks for researching this. I'll check it out on my unit.

northben
10-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Well toggling the Bluetooth didn't help. I had the opportunity to toggle it a couple of times today, and the jitters came back after just a few minutes. In one case, the jitters resumed immediately after I turned Bluetooth back on.

Howard
10-16-2010, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like you are seeing a different issue with the Bluetooth.

If the Bluetooth reception problems are not clearing up then perhaps some type of ongoing radio interference is responsible for the problems. Have you noticed any pattern in the location you are at when the problems occur? Is there any type of noticeable pattern to when you have Bluetooth problems vs. when it works correctly?