PDA

View Full Version : When might we expect a fix for not pausing during notifications and...

grey
08-17-2010, 01:05 PM
This is a GREAT app, but there are 2 bugs I've found (at least on my Droid X) while listening to books on my sd card:

1. The failure for the book to auto pause when the phone get a notification (like a calendar reminder or an incoming text notification). The book keeps playing and you have to rewind.

2. When the phone rings with an incoming call, the pause/answer button on the headset will not let you answer the call.

Any idea when we might expect to see fixes for this?

Thanks

Howard
08-18-2010, 09:06 PM
Both of these issues are fixed in v2.02. We expect to release v2.02 by the end of this week.

The fix for the audiobook not pausing when a notification occurs depends on the audio focus system which is a new feature in Android 2.2 Froyo. The Ambling BookPlayer v2.02 will work with the Froyo audio focus system to pause the audiobook playback during the notification and then resume where you were at before the notification occurred. Since this feature requires the audio focus event notifications it will only work on devices running Android 2.2 or higher.

Howard
08-21-2010, 02:34 PM
We have released the Ambling BookPlayer v2.02 which supports the new Froyo audio focus system.

For users with Froyo devices the player will now pause the audiobook when another audio interruption is about to occur (such as Google Maps giving navigation instructions) and then when the audio interruption has finished it will resume playing the audiobook again.

The player will resume 2.5 seconds prior to the point where the audio interruption occurred so that you can pick up the story before it was interrupted.

v2.02 also includes the fix for the problem where the wired headset call control button was not working to answer incoming phone calls. With v2.02 the call control button will work to pause and resume the audiobook playback while you are listening to a book, but will switch functions to allow you to answer the incoming call when the phone rings.

grey
08-23-2010, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the fixes Howard. This all works perfectly now, and books from the sd card are much easier to add.

Aninn
09-04-2010, 12:58 PM
I just upgraded to 2.2 (Incredible), and for some reason whenever I get a notification my audio is going back 60seconds. Also, when I stop the book for a time and start listening again it will start back either 180 seconds or 360 seconds from where I left off. Any ideas?

Howard
09-05-2010, 07:31 PM
If the preference option to "Jump Back After Pause" is set then the player will automatically move backward after a pause. For manual pauses the amount it moves backward can vary from as little as 2 seconds up to 30 seconds. The amount of time it backs up is determined by how long it has been paused, and the longest backup (30 seconds) is for cases where it has been paused more than a day.

On Froyo when an interruption happens for an audio notification the player should automatically pause and when the audio notification ends the player should resumes play at a position 2.5 seconds before the place that it paused for the interruption (but only if the "Jump Back After Pause" option is set).

A number of users that have reported seeing problems where the player is backing up several minutes or going to incorrect locations. We have found that this is typically because the audio files they are playing have encoding errors. The Android audio system does not deal well with audio file encoding errors, and the most visible symptom of this is problems with reporting the current play position and problems moving to a specific play position.

I have found that most problems where playback has strange and unexpected behavior are a result of problems that the Android audio system has when playing audio files with some type of encoding error. The Android audio system does not deal well with encoding errors, and can have problems playing a file even though the same file appears to play fine other places.

Please try the following to see if it clears up your problems.

1) Read the audio file that has the problems into an audio editor such as GoldWave or Audacity
2) Without changing anything, just save the audio file out again. This will allow the audio editor to write out a clean copy of the file with no encoding problems.
3) Try playing the new copy of the file that you saved on the Android.

Please let me know if this resolves the problems you are having with the player moving to an incorrect position in the file.