PDA

View Full Version : file not playable

Timothyharps
01-11-2011, 07:39 AM
Hi everyone.

I'm running amblingplayer lite on an Archos 101, but every book I download from the ambling site refuses to play. I get a message for each saying file not playable. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app, and tested with four books including Tarzan and Sherlock Holmes.

Any suggestions?
Timothy

Howard
01-13-2011, 01:05 PM
There is an "Add .ab Extension" option in the preference settings which controls whether the player leaves the file extensions as .mp3 or modifies the extensions to be .mp3.ab

This setting is enabled by default so that the downloaded audiobook files do not get mixed up with your music files.

If you uncheck this setting then the player will leave the file extension as .mp3 when it downloads the audiobook files.

Please try unchecking this setting and then downloading a book to see if the problem is that the Archos devices will not play the audio files when the file extension does not end in .mp3

Please let me know if this does or does not help.

Howard
01-16-2011, 02:24 PM
I just had a user send me email to confirm that changing the preference setting to not add the .ab file extension resolved the "file not playable" problem that he was having.

It appears that there are now some Android devices which cannot play an .mp3 file unless the file name ends in the .mp3 file extension. We will make a change in the player for this.

"The current version of the player should work fine if you go to the preference settings and uncheck the "Add .ab Extension" option.

You will need to download the files again after changing the option, as unchecking the box only changes whether future downloads get named with the .ab file extension, it will not modify the files you previously downloaded.

Howard
01-20-2011, 06:31 PM
The usage of .ab file extensions has been discontinued in the v2.05 release which is now available.

This version will instead create a .nomedia file in each audiobook directory which works to prevent the audio files from getting mixed in with your music and also prevents the book cover images from getting mixed in with your photos.