PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Spam From BookPlayer 2.0.7

reifnir
02-07-2011, 08:52 PM
I'm running version BookPlayer Pro v2.0.7 on an up-to-date Droid X. I've noticed that it's been it's been spamming facebook. If I restart the app and resume an mp3 book that I am currently in the midst of reading, it posts that I have just started reading it.

To reproduce the error, exit (shut down, don't send to background) out of the app. Touch the play icon in the widget. Wait less than a minute for the FB post to appear.

PS - It's really a great app. Keep up the great work!

thedeanius
02-12-2011, 04:35 PM
+1 I too have this problem, however it happens even when i get a call while reading a book. When the book resumes after the call, it will post that i have began listening to the book again. The preferred behaviour for me would be that it only posts that i have began a particular book 1 time only, and then that i have completed a particular book 1 time, once the book has ended. Thanks for a wonderful app. I use it everyday.

BobbyBoJ
02-13-2011, 07:42 AM
My player (personal version, latest update. HTC Incredible, Android 2.2) did the same thing yesterday. It posted two different times that I started a book, when I used the player twice with a little amount of time between the two uses (the 2nd time I was well into the 2nd chapter, so was not close to the beginning). The first post was a full-on book description post with full book name and author, as well as book summary and cover image. The second post just said I started reading ______ (book title) and that was it, no book description or cover posted.

I have decided to disable the posting for the first time I start a book, so that should eliminate the problem, but wouldn't help if I really wanted others to know when I started a book.

Howard
02-13-2011, 02:38 PM
The Ambling BookPlayer has a number of limiters that are intended to prevent it from posting too frequently to your Facebook wall.

These limiters are:

1) Detailed book information limit
The detailed book information that the player can include in a post are the book cover image, first 3 lines of the book description, and a link to the page on the AmblingBooks.com site that has the full book description.
The player should wait at least 20 days after a previous post with this information before including the information with another post about the book.

2) Book started or finished limit
These posts indicate that you have started listening to a book or finished listening to a book.
The player should be limiting how often these events get posted to the Facebook wall. This limiter was mistakenly set too low in the v2.06 release and would allow a second post after 20 hours. In v2.07 we changed this limiter to require that it has been at least 30 days since the previous post before the player would post the same event for this book again.

3) Chapter started or finished limit
These posts indicate that you have started listening to a chapter or finished listening to a chapter.
The player should be limiting how often these events get posted to the Facebook wall. This limiter was mistakenly set too low in the v2.06 release and would allow a second post after 20 hours. In v2.07 we changed this limiter to require that it has been at least 14 days since the previous post before the player would post the same event for this chapter again.

4) Minimum listen time limit
This limit prevents the player from posting if you are skipping around in the book. The limiter requires that you have listened to the current chapter at least 30 seconds without any interruption before the player will post an event about the chapter (or book).

We apologize that v2.06 had the book and chapter re-post limiter set too low. The v2.07 release should have fixed this issue.

Please check to make sure that you have upgraded to the v2.07 player and then let me know if you still see any issues with extra posts.

I tried doing the steps that reifnir listed above for getting a double post by exiting and then restarting the player, but I did not see a second post when I tested this on the v2.07 player. Please confirm that you have the v2.07 player installed and are still seeing issues with extra posts.

guney
02-15-2011, 12:49 PM
Setting the posting limits higher is nice and everything, but how about those of us who are not Facebook users (yes, we do exist!) or are Facebook users but aren't interested in utilizing this functionality of the player? Do we have a way of disabling this? Could we please be spared the extremely annoying Facebook login pop-up when we launch the player or resume a book, even if the pop-up is only occasional? (Or should we start looking for alternate audiobook players?) I'm running v2.0.7 and I couldn't see such an option in the settings.

guney
02-15-2011, 12:55 PM
Never mind. I found the setting. It was sitting right in front of me. (Even the fact that it defaulted to "on" is a bit too presumptuous, but let's not go there...)

Howard
02-15-2011, 09:08 PM
I am glad you found the Facebook settings on the preferences screen. You can turn the Facebook integration on or off, and specify what events you would like to have posted from the preference settings.

The default preference setting for Facebook integration is OFF.

This setting will only be turned on if you answer yes to the dialog asking if you want to enable Facebook integration, or if you go into the preference settings and manually turn it on. I am not sure why you thought it was turned on by default.

The dialog that asks if you want to enable Facebook integration should only be shown to you a single time, which is when you finish listening to the first book after upgrading to a player that supports Facebook integration.

If you do turn on the Facebook integration then it will prompt you to login to Facebook when the player is ready to post an event, if you have not previously logged in. It sounds like this login pop-up was the one that you saw several times.

Howard
02-22-2011, 02:17 AM
We found that there was still a problem in v2.07 with the player posting the "started listening to a book" message multiple times to the Facebook wall.

We have released v2.08 which should not post multiple "started listening to a book messages" to your Facebook wall.

We also reset the Facebook integration settings which may require that you disable the Facebook integration in the Preference settings and then reenable the Facebook integration before the player will post any additional Facebook messages.

We apologize for the extra messages which were being posted.