PDA

View Full Version : Strange pausing?

urban1
02-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Hi. I am very new to audio books and players. This is my first player and I am interested in getting it to work right. I have downloaded a book from Big Finish which consists of 25 parts. Apparently, Ambling is capable of jumping to the next part automatically (well if the options are set correctly).

I first tried this today and the player kept pausing for some unknown reason; the first time was just a few seconds into the first part. I restarted the player (it appeared to not be running) and it ran for several minutes until, once again, it paused strangely. I thought it might be because of pressure against the screen (I was exercising), but the screen was locked.

I am on Ambling Personal, version 1.13 with a MyTouch phone and Android 1.6.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks,

Bob

Howard
02-10-2010, 09:59 PM
The first step in troubleshooting this issue is to determine if the player is switching from play mode to pause mode, or if the player is still in play mode but is having problems playing the audio file.

When the player switches from play to pause there are two changes on the control screen. The text that is shown centered between the chapter name button and the chapter position bar will change from displaying "Playing" in green letters to displaying "Paused" in yellow letters. Also the play/pause control icon in the bottom right corner will switch between a pause control button (two red lines) and a play control button (a green triangle).

Could you check when this problem occurs, and the playback pauses, to see if the player is still in "Playing" mode or if it has changed to "Paused" mode?

The answer to this question will help to determine what steps to take next in troubleshooting this problem.

urban1
02-11-2010, 07:48 AM
Thanks, I will check that. As I recall, Ambling was not running. That is, I had to go to the menu and reselect it. I'm new to Android but I didn't see any indication that it was running (something n the status bar, for instance). I'll try it again when I have a bit more time.

Thanks for answering, though.

Bob

urban1
02-11-2010, 01:19 PM
I should have studied this issue further. The problem appears not to be about pausing, instead, the application stops running every few minutes. It's almost like there is some value in options (although I can't find one) which tells the player to shut down after playing just a few minutes or that it believes that the headphones have been disconnected.

The player is definitely not running at this time and even the headphone indicator on the status bar is not on.

Any siggestions?

Thanks,

Bob

Howard
02-11-2010, 07:04 PM
Normally the Ambling BookPlayer should not stop running unless you select "Exit" from the menu. There should be a small icon in the notification bar at the top of the screen to show you when the player is running, this icon will also indicate if the player is in play or pause mode.

While the Ambling BookPlayer is in play mode it registers as a foreground service which tells the Android OS that it should not be unloaded as part of the background cleanup of applications which are not actively being used. While the Ambling BookPlayer is playing it will also hold a CPU wake lock which should prevent the phone power management system from powering off the audio in the middle of playback. Both of these are released when you pause playback.

The Android OS does shut down applications as necessary to reclaim memory and resources. Normally applications marked foreground are not shut down as they are being actively used. However if resources are low the Android OS can even shut down foreground applications.

Some things you could check are:
1) Is there another application running on your Android which might be consuming a large amount of resources and triggering the Android OS to shut down some foreground applications in order to recover resources?

2) Do you have some type of task killer application installed on your phone which might incorrectly decide to kill the Ambling BookPlayer task without realizing that it is playing audio?