PDA

View Full Version : Remote cotrol

norm
04-08-2010, 02:43 AM
Not sure whether this is an Ambling issue, an Android issue or an HTC issue. Tried a search on the forum but did not come up with anything.

When I connect a headset with a remote contol, either directly or via bluetooth, apart from the volume contols, all the other controls will open or operate the built-in media player. Is there a way of changing this, either in some Android setting or in a BookPlayer setting so that it operates BookPlayer instead?

EDIT: Solved that problem but now have another one. I realised that it wasn't starting the built-in player - i was starting MortPlayer which I had previously installed to try out before finding BookPlayer. Uninstalled MortPlayer and, as long as BookPlayer is running, the remote controls operate BookPlayer. Problem remaining is that the FF and RW buttons on the control move 15 seconds, rather than to next or previous track. Maybe, on reflection, that's better. I need to think about that.

Howard
04-08-2010, 09:03 AM
Each application that is installed on your phone can register to get the Bluetooth control signals. If the application has been coded correctly they will do this in a nice way which will allow the Bluetooth control signals to be shared between multiple applications. If you have the Ambling BookPlayer running it will register to intercept the Bluetooth control signals, but if it is not running it allows the Bluetooth control signals to go to other audio applications.

There is a known problem on the HTC Hero phones with the HTC media player which comes on those phones. The HTC media player was not coded to allow sharing of the Bluetooth controls and will always intercept all the Bluetooth signals preventing other applications from getting the signals.

The Ambling BookPlayer has a preference setting labeled "Forward/Reverse Skip Time" where you can change how far the player jumps when you press the fast forward or rewind buttons. You can select from from a list of times which includes: 2 seconds, 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 15 seconds, 20 seconds, 30 seconds, 45 seconds, and 60 seconds. The list does NOT currently offer the option to jump by chapter. It was our thought that you might want to be able to undo your jump if you went too far by pressing the other button. This works fine for time based jumps, but does not work for jump by chapter because that would not let you return to a position inside a chapter. To change the preference settings press the MENU button while you are on one of the main Ambling BookPlayer screens and select the "Preferences" option.

I most often use the RW button to jump back so I can listen to a section again because I 1) got distracted and missed what was said, or 2) wanted to hear that part another time. Having the RW button jump a fixed amount of time makes it easy to relisten to sections of the audiobook.

If you think that jumping by chapter will work better for the way that you listen to audiobooks then let us know, and that option could also be added to the list of choices available in the preference settings.

Howard
04-18-2010, 10:34 AM
People that have the HTC Hero phone have not been able to use the Bluetooth buttons with any other player because of the way HTC intercepted all the Bluetooth signals in the HTC music player.

Now it looks like someone has provided an application you can load on the HTC Hero to resolve this problem.

See more details at http://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/tools/headset-button-fix_ddpg.html