Problem on restart after pause or incoming email bleep
I'm pretty sure this started with the last upgrade to version 2.08 of BookPlayer Personal. (I'm running this on a Droid.) When I get an email bleep the restart, which should be two seconds back, ususally is more like 30 seconds forward. The same seems to happen when I pause and restart. Also I've noticed that the display doesn't always appear to be correct. For example, the book I just finished tonight showed 0:00 remaining both for the book and for the chapter but the track played on for five or six seconds more.
I don't think this is because of bad encoding since all these files were converted from whatever the original format was using GoldWave so they should be pretty standard.
If needed I can send one or more of the files I'm having problems with.
This does sound like the behavior which occurs when the Android audio system is playing a file which has encoding errors. Both the issue with displaying the wrong current position and the issue with seeking to the wrong position in the file occur when there is an encoding problem in the audio file.
I am not aware of any cases where GoldWave will write out a file with an encoding error. I recommend using either GoldWave or Audacity to read and rewrite files which have encoding problems to clear up the problems.
It may be that you noticed the problem start occurring when the player was playing a file with encoding issues as I have not had any other reports of issues with v2.08. Please check the specific file that was playing when you saw this issue for encoding errors. It is possible for a file to get corrupted due to a disk problem or SD card problem, so even if the file originally did not have any encoding errors, it would be good to recheck it.
I had these problems with multiple files over at least two books. However, both were processed the same way so I guess an encoding issue is possbile. How would I check for these types of errors?
The v2.10 release has a fix for a problem where the player could end up in the wrong position in the audio file on some Android devices. Please try v2.10 and let me know if it has resolved these issues that you were seeing,.
I have a similar problem running v2.11 pro version. When resuming after an interruption it resumes back several minutes sometimes. This has happened for the last 3 books I've listened to, all mp3 files. I ran Checkmate Mp3 Checker on the files and it reports all are ok. I did transfer these over to my phone via ftp if that could cause problems but I did run the mp3 check on the actual files in use after mounting the phone via usb. Running an HTC Thunderbolt.
I have had a couple of people report that they are still having problems with the player seeking to the correct position with v2.11. (Note: seeking is the technical term for going to a specific position in a file). After investigating this further we found that there are some bugs in the Android media player seek logic which were introduced in some of the recent Android versions during an attempt to correct other bugs in earlier versions. See http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=4124
We have made another change in the player to monitor whether the Android media player is playing at the positions where the player asked it to play, with new logic to handle cases where the media player is not at the correct location.
The v2.11 player has a change so that it releases the Android media player each time that play is paused. Apparently this has made this seek problem more apparent on some devices that have the problem.
One user that was having this issue has confirmed that the v2.12 beta that we sent them is now playing at the correct positions on their Android. If you are having this problem and would also like to try the v2.12 player contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can get you the v2.12 beta version.
There is a temporary work around for this issue. If you press the back 15 seconds button, and then press the forward 15 seconds button the player will return to the correct location in the book.
The fix for the player to automatically work around the problem in the media player service will be included in our next player which should be out later this week.
We have released v2.12 which includes new functionality to work around the Android media system seek bug on those devices that are running a version of the Android OS that has this problem.
The player now detects that the Android media system is not responding correctly to seek requests and issues additional seek commands until the media system actually goes to the requested location.